We are living in unprecedented times and is important for everyone to take steps to remain safe. This means knowing about the differences between cleaning, sanitizing and disinfecting. While all three of these processes are important together, it is important to understand the differences of each one. Here are several facts that everyone should keep in mind.
Cleaning is used to refer to processes that remove dust, debris and other items in the area.
- When you are cleaning, make sure to wear disposable gloves.
- Always clean surfaces thoroughly with soap and water; however, this will not be enough to remove bacteria and viruses in the surface.
- When you clean with soap and water, you will reduce the presence of dirt and impurities, but you will not kill germs that are present on the surface.
- You should target and prioritize high touch points including door knobs, computer keyboards, and desks.
- You should also clean objects in public places before touching them, such as shopping carts.
Sanitizing reduces the bacteria that are present on the product’s label by using either cleaning practices (above) or disinfecting surfaces (below).
- Try to find cleaning and sanitizing products that are effective against common viruses, such as influenza.
- Remember that many cleaning products only to stay in place for 3 to 5 minutes before being removed in order to achieve maximum effectiveness.
- It is helpful to use disinfecting wipes on electronic devices to ensure they are cleaned properly without damaging them.
- All cleaning products are going to have a hazard or warning labels on them, so remember to read them and follow the instructions.
- Always handle waste properly, which means placing biohazard waste in no-touch wastebaskets.
Disinfecting inactivates or destroys both bacteria and viruses that are present on the label of the cleaning product.
- No matter what cleaning product you are using, you should always follow the instructions on the label to make sure it is both safe and effective against a wide range of pathogens.
- Always wear gloves when using disinfecting products, as these products can be caustic.
- Ensure there is good ventilation when using these products as the fumes might be toxic.
- Consider wearing eye protection to guard against potential splashes.
- These products can be extremely dangerous if ingested, so store them out of the reach of pets and children.
Contact Enviro-Master Cleaning Services Today!
These are some of the most important steps that businesses, schools and families can take to make sure they stay safe. If you are looking for a commercial cleaning company, then Enviro-Master can help you disinfect and sanitize using our proprietary electrostatic sprayer, drain treatment and restroom hygiene services. Contact us today!