Parents rely on daycare operators to provide an educational, healthy, and safe environment for their children to develop and thrive. As a professional childcare provider, your commitment to the families that count on your business involves more than just coming up with fun art projects, making meals a toddler will eat (not throw), and supervising playtime. You’re also running a business, supervising a staff, and working behind the scenes to keep everything running smoothly.
Part of those responsibilities include creating a healthy and safe environment where germs and viruses are not invited to playtime. Creating a daycare cleaning checklist is important, especially when children are sharing toys, playing on floors, and putting everything in their mouths. However, some cleaners on the market contain dangerous and toxic chemicals that may do more harm than good.
What Cleaners are Safe to Use Around Children?
Ensure that the cleaning products you’re using are not harmful and will not cause adverse skin or respiratory irritation. Look for EPA approved products that are certified safe for consumers and safe for the environment.
In a daycare facility, it’s more cost-effective if you can use the same cleaning and disinfecting products on multiple surfaces, from food prep counters and bathrooms, to play areas and diaper changing stations. All cleaning products should be kept in a secure place, and out of reach of children.
Now more than ever, staff and parents are counting on daycare operators to prevent the spread of dangerous illnesses, including COVID-19, in childcare facilities. Here is a daily cleaning checklist to help you maintain a safe environment.
Daily Daycare Cleaning Checklist
Getting into a good daily cleaning routine can start even before parents start arriving for the evening pickup. One cleaning trick is to label bins and baskets so kids can help put away toys, place dirty art smocks in the laundry basket, and throw away cups and plates from snack time. Make cleaning fun by playing music or making a game out of who can put away the most building blocks.
Once the kids are gone for the day, your teachers and janitorial staff can tackle the more detailed daycare cleaning checklist.
- Floors – Vacuum or sweep carpet, tile, and wood floors.
- Kitchen – Spray and wipe down counters, sink, tables, and chairs.
- Bathrooms and diaper changing stations – Spray and wipe down sinks, counters, toilets, and plastic changing pads. Scrub inside toilet bowls and mop floors.
- Toys – Soak plastic toys in a solution of non-toxic disinfectant according to product instructions. Allow to air-dry. Puzzles and books should be wiped down with a damp cloth and detergent. Allow to air-dry before returning to use.
- Cribs, mats, and cots – Wash linens in hot water and dry thoroughly. Wipe down all surfaces with anti-bacterial wipes and allow to air-dry.
- High-touch surfaces – Disinfect light switches, door handles, handrails, and other surfaces with sanitizing spray or wipes.
- Play equipment – Routine cleaning with detergent and warm water will remove dirt and many common germs from surfaces. Regularly spray and wipe down with a sanitizing cleaner.
Kids Can Help Too!
When children return to daycare the next day, get a jump start on killing germs, by asking kids to wash their hands. If we’ve learned anything from the coronavirus pandemic, good handwashing is proven to reduce the spread of disease. You know kids love a good game, so remind them to sing the Happy Handwashing Song two times while they work up a good lather.
Make sure your facility is stocked with plenty of hand soap and paper towels for all that extra handwashing. Consider installing touch-free foam soap dispensers to reduce the spread of germs and viruses.
Consider Partnering with a Commercial Cleaning Service
A lot goes into running a successful daycare facility, and much of it happens when the kids aren’t there. Instead of you or your staff tackling a daily daycare cleaning checklist, you may want to partner with a commercial cleaning service.
From diapers to college dorms, Enviro-Master’s school and daycare cleaning services are used in facilities around the country to protect kids of every age. Our Virus Vaporizer™ electrostatic spraying service uses EPA registered, hospital-grade disinfectant. It kills 99.9% of dangerous germs, including the Coronavirus, and keeps protecting your facility all week long.
Ask your local Enviro-Master technician about our weekly services and child-safe products for your facility. Call 1-833-GERMPROS for more information today.