It seems that the toilet has gotten a bad rap. We all shun it as the dirtiest part of the house when in reality there are a lot of supposedly clean places that are exponentially filthier. These are 10 unexpected things that are dirtier than your toilet.
1. ICE: A study of fast food restaurants in the US found that 70% of the ice served had more bacteria than the toilet water.
2. KEYBOARDS: Keyboards can have up to 200 times more bacteria than a toilet seat.
3. CELLPHONES: Our mobile devices can have 10 times more bacteria than toilet seats…and they’re always touching our faces. Would you wipe the inside of your toilet bowl with your cheek?
4. RESTAURANT MENUS: There are on average 100 times more bacteria on restaurant menus than on restroom toilet seat.
5. LIGHT SWITCH: These can have up to 217 bacteria per square inch.
6. KITCHEN SINK: Forget the toilet, TODAY reported not long ago how your sink could easily be dirtier than your entire bathroom.
7. PILLOW : Dead skins cells, dust mites, fungal spores, pollen, and other body secretions are all floating around in the place you stick your head at night.
8. PET FOOD BOWL: The inside rim alone contains 2,110 bacteria per square inch.
9. MONEY: Bank notes can have up to 200,000 bacteria. It’s a good idea to wash your hands after directly handling cash.
10. HANDBAGS: Notoriously dirty, they usually contain your phone, money, and other things that after reading this list should give you an idea of why you want to clean your handbag.2
Now, why is our toilet so much cleaner than these things? It’s pretty simple really…we actually clean the toilet. Because we generally think of the toilet as being dirty we clean it with all sorts of chemicals. Toothbrushes, kitchen sponges, and cell phones on the other hand are cleaned rarely, if at all.
#Bacteria #Germs #DiseasePrevention