In the interconnected world we live in today, maintaining a safe and healthy environment for employees and clients is paramount. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that between 3% and 11% of Americans get sick with the flu every year. As fall transitions into winter, the looming threat of flu season coupled with concerns about new COVID strains means flu precaution workplace strategies are more vital than ever. It’s essential to realize that having a clean workspace is different from having a sanitary one. To truly safeguard a business from infectious diseases like the flu, sanitation is non-negotiable.
The Flu’s Impact on Business
The flu might be brushed aside as just another seasonal ailment, but it can wreak havoc when underestimated. Beyond its potential to cause serious health issues, it can also severely impact a business’s bottom line. Absenteeism due to illness, reduced productivity, and the ripple effect of one employee infecting another can lead to operational disruptions. For businesses, preventing illness in the workplace is not just a health initiative; it’s an economic one. There are a few flu precautions workplaces should utilize to reduce the spread of communicable diseases such as the flu.
Flu Precautions a Workplace Must Adopt
- Educate and Advocate: Flu precaution workplace policies are important to have. Ensure employees are well-informed about cold and flu prevention at work. The CDC encourages businesses to promote the flu vaccination, encourage sick employees to stay home, and make hand hygiene easy and accessible. Consider hanging posters around your business reminding everyone of flu symptoms. The CDC has resources and artwork to help you communicate workplace practices during flu season and the importance of preventing upper respiratory viruses from spreading.
- Promote Hygiene: Advocate for frequent hand-washing and proper coughing etiquette (covering the nose and mouth when coughing and sneezing). Having extra hand sanitizer around the office can be another great idea.
- Regular Sanitization: While daily cleaning is good, it’s not enough to prevent the spread of serious infections, especially during flu season. Investing in professional sanitizing services can be a game-changer, ensuring every nook and cranny is germ-free. An electrostatic spray kills germs on contact and keeps them from coming back longer. At Enviro-Master Services, we use our EPA-registered germicide with our Virus Vaporizer Service to sanitize and disinfect high-touch surfaces from restaurant kitchens to school desks.
- Be Flexible: Whenever possible, offer flexible work arrangements. The CDC recommends employees stay home if they feel ill to help reduce the spread of infectious diseases. If it’s possible, work-from-home options may be a great idea for employees who feel ill. This not only aids in flu prevention in the workplace but also follows recommended COVID workplace precautions guidelines.
A Double Whammy: COVID and Flu Season
The impact of the 2020 COVID outbreak might still be fresh for many businesses. Operations for many businesses either halted or dramatically shifted. During fall and winter, many areas saw surges of COVID. This winter, experts are still concerned about new COVID variants and other respiratory viruses such as the flu and RSV. While it’s impossible to know what will happen with infections, some infectious disease epidemiologists predict flu, RSV, and COVID will likely go around this year, but it may not be “much, much worse” than pre-pandemic levels.
Scientists and health organizations are consistently monitoring variants and potential strains. But one thing is sure: We’re more prepared now than we were in 2020. Many of the same strategies for flu safety in the workplace have evolved, helping to prevent other pathogens like COVID. That’s why workplace flu precaution policies are important to have. Businesses are now more equipped to implement preventive measures, ensuring that history doesn’t repeat itself. Included in these strategies are enhanced cleaning and sanitization measures for all high-touch surfaces, increased hand hygiene, and increased restroom sanitization. Taking precautions might help prevent the spread of serious illnesses like COVID, RSV, and the flu.
Elevate Your Safety Measures With Enviro-Master Services
Keeping your business running efficiently and effectively is top-of-mind for any business owner or manager. Cleaning and sanitizing should be part of any business strategy. Healthy and happy employees do the most efficient work. Enhance your safety measures this winter with Enviro-Master Services’ expert commercial cleaning services.
With flu season on the horizon and concerns about new COVID strains, our services are primed to help businesses combat these challenges head-on. Here’s how:
- Comprehensive Sanitization: Using EPA-approved disinfectants, Enviro-Master Services takes care of harmful pathogens — eradicating them and creating a hygienic workspace.
- Specialized Services: Beyond the regular clean, we offer specialized services tailored to various needs, ensuring every aspect of your business is covered.
- Expertise and Experience: With years of experience in the industry, we bring proven methods to the table so businesses are not just clean but sanitized and safe.
With the right flu precautions and workplace partners like Enviro-Master, businesses can confidently navigate flu season. You can help safeguard your business, health-wise and economically, with Enviro-Master Services. Prepare your business today. Submit a contact form or call us at 1-833-GERMPRO (1-833-437-6776) to learn how we can keep your business clean.