Now that school is back in full swing after the busy holidays, it’s a good time to refocus on the health and safety of your students and staff. Teaching and reinforcing healthy hand hygiene to children and adults can reduce the spread of germs and disease in school.
With limited time during the school day, teachers may not be able to devote full lessons to hygiene health. However, by encouraging helpful habits throughout the day, teachers can help spread awareness about the benefits of hand hygiene.
According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, keeping hands clean is one of the most important ways to avoid getting sick and spreading germs to others. Students must be reminded to wash their hands or use hand sanitizer several times throughout the course of the school day. These times include: before eating; after using the toilet; after blowing their nose, coughing, or sneezing; before and after treating a cut or wound; and after touching garbage. Additionally, at home, everyone should also wash their hands before, during, and after preparing food; when caring for someone who is sick; after changing diapers; after touching or feeding an animal; and when handling pet food or treats.
Based on a number of studies, the CDC recommends cleaning hands in a specific way to prevent germs from spreading.
- Wet hands with clean, running water (warm or cold).
- Apply soap and lather your hands by rubbing them together. Make sure you lather the backs of your hands, between fingers, and underneath your nails. Lathering creates friction which will help to lift the dirt, grease, and microbes from the skin.
- Scrub for 20 seconds or sing the “Happy Birthday” song twice to reduce the number of microbes on the skin.
- Rinse hands under clean, running water, as standing water may be contaminated.
- Dry hands using a clean towel or air dryer to prevent the transfer of germs from wet hands.
- If soap and water are not available, hand sanitizer should be used as an alternative to reduce germs.
With a few hand hygiene tips, you can reduce missed school days and work days due to the spread of germs and disease. In addition, Enviro-Master’s Hand Hygiene Program has several different options available to help eliminate bacteria and viruses in your school. From our Electrostatic Spraying Technology, to our products, equipment, and weekly service, Enviro-Master can fully prepare you to combat germs in your school.
#health #germs #HandWashing #protectingyou #fluseason #safety #coldandflu #kids #education