The pandemic has made business owners and customers acutely aware of the need to prevent the spread of highly contagious illnesses. Practicing social distancing, washing hands, and avoiding people who are visibly sick has become part of the new normal.
However, as states and businesses reopen from the pandemic, business owners should remain vigilant about disinfection methods to prevent the spread of seasonal flu and other contagious illnesses. In fact, the lessons learned about sanitizing and disinfecting during the pandemic could also prove helpful in the future to cut down on workplace illnesses. Some of these illnesses are caused by what’s come to be known as the Seven Serious Superbugs.
Be Aware of the Seven Serious Superbugs
- MRSA – This deadly superbug spreads easily through direct and indirect contact. The bacteria can hitch itself to any surface and remain viable for about two to six months if not washed or sterilized.
- Norovirus – Norovirus, a vomit-inducing illness, is seeing a resurgence right now. It can survive for days or weeks on hard surfaces. Note: hand sanitizer does not kill norovirus, but it can be stopped by proper handwashing with soap and water.
- Salmonella – This food-borne illness, which causes severe digestive issues, can be picked up from contaminated surfaces where it can survive for around one to four hours on dry surfaces and up to 24 hours on wet surfaces.
- E Coli – This bacterium is typically spread through contaminated food and be carried in feces. It can pass from person to person and from surface to person. E. Coli can survive on surfaces for up to 24 hours.
- Hepatitis A – This viral liver disease has made a resurgence in recent years. It can be spread by touching contaminated surfaces then placing the hands near or in the mouth. Hepatitis A can survive for months outside the body. Most regular cleaning products don’t kill Hep A.
- Rhinovirus (common cold) – Cold viruses have been shown to survive on indoor surfaces for more than seven days.
- Influenza – The flu virus can survive on hard surfaces for 24 hours where it’s transferable to your hands, which can lead to infection.
We understand that the safety of your employees and customers is of the utmost concern, so here are some solutions to disinfect your building or office if illness does strike.
How to Kill Contagious Viruses Effectively and Prevent Further Spread
Handling a workplace illness should be done as quickly as possible. Encourage employees to remain home when they’re sick or to go home immediately if they start feeling ill while at work.
If an employee comes down with the flu, norovirus, or other contagious illness, their desk or workspace should be cleaned and disinfected with products approved by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Remember to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for all cleaning and disinfecting products. To avoid injury, employees should follow guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) when using cleaning chemicals.
Common areas around your business should also be cleaned and disinfected to prevent the spread of illnesses. Focus on surfaces in the restrooms, breakroom, conference room, reception area, elevator buttons, door handles, and light switches.
The sanitizing and disinfecting services used by Enviro-Master Services include our Virus Vaporizer™ electrostatic spraying service. In the event of an illness outbreak at your business, one of our trained service technicians can help keep you and your employees safe from getting sick. The hospital-grade germicide used in the Virus Vaporizer service can fight against the Seven Serious Superbugs.
Health and Safety Solution: Partner with Enviro-Master
It’s important for business owners to stay ahead of illnesses and germs. It will make employees and customers feel safer in your business, and could also reduce absenteeism and productivity loss.
Enviro-Master is best known for our commercial restroom and hygiene service, but we’re also experts in disinfecting outside of the restroom. Among the industries we serve are offices, gyms, restaurants, healthcare facilities, schools, daycares, and more. Let our disinfection methods protect your business so you can focus on running your business.
Give us a call at 1-833-GERMPRO (1-833-437-6776) or complete the form below to get in touch with your local Enviro-Master expert.